How do I create new events in additional calendars?

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
Dee RQ

How do I create new events in additional calendars?

Post by Dee RQ » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:22 pm

Hi from Spain
I am a total newbie to organizers and like (by that I mean I even feel intimidated to post here where everybody knows his abouts); First, thanks to Dan and hope I get used to this so I can see a point in upgrading; second, here goes the dumb question: what is that I need to do to start FILLING IN new events for a second calendar?
I mean I've already made a first one, named and filled it in; then I CREATED a second one, but there's no way (for me) to be able to start filling in (the only thing I get from "New calendar" is setting some defaults and apparently 'create a new event' that JUXTAPOSES on top of the events from the first calendar. Well, hope I was able to make my doubt clear to you... Thanks

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: How do I create new events in additional calendars?

Post by VueSoft » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:12 am

Hi Dee RQ, welcome to the forums and thank you for the question.

To create new events, use the "New -> Event" command on the File menu. If you prefer keyboard shortcuts, the shortcut to create a new event is Ctrl+N.

The new event will default to being associated with the currently active calendar. You can activate a calendar by clicking its name in the calendar list. There will be an arrow icon to the left of the calendar name, indicating that it is active.

If the wrong calendar was active when the New -> Event command was used, you can select the correct calendar from the drop-down "Calendar" field in the Event Editor window.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if this is unclear or if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Dee RQ

Post by Dee RQ » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:08 am

Thanks for welcoming me and for such a quick and self-explanatory reply!
Here what it happens on my screen when using the free lite version:
A: opening the Event Editor window (3 ways of doing it: 1. from File Menu /New/Event; 2.from Tab Menu /Event 3. from INSIDE a calendar bubble somewhere(either a right click and choose 'event' or double left click). All these choices open the Event Editor & let you do ur thing. So for this part, creating events, everything goes more than ok.
B:Saving/Placing this event on the right calendar: If only use Drop-down "Calendar" field inside the Event Editor while having the arrow icon to the left of the targeted calendar name pointing at it, won't do, 'cause it still posts on the displayed calendar (which in this case isn't the targeted one). One also needs to unclick the radio buttons to the left of un-targeted calendar(s).
That confuses me, I mean,
[*]does the arrow just point at calendars and the radio button really makes them active or establishes some hierarchy?
[*]why doesn't my event go to the right calendar (even arrowed at & activated) from the EE drop-down menu while other calendars are 'checked''?
Thanks for taking the time to read my mini essay here, still struggling with being as brief as p online and thanks for this calendar, it's cool!

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:38 pm

Hi Dee RQ, the check boxes next the the calendar names control which calendars are visible or filtered. You can use these checkboxes to reduce the amount of clutter in your calendar, hiding events you don't normally need to see.

The checkboxes don't have anything to do with which calendar a new event is associated with. This is only controlled by which calendar is active (has an arrow next to its name).

The drop-down calendar field I was referring to is in the Event Editor window. It's below the "Location" field and above "Start time". If you click the downward pointing arrow on the right-side of the Calendar field, you'll see a list of your other calendars. Click one of the other calendars in the drop-down list to change which calendar the new event will belong to. Again, this drop-down list is accessed from within the Event Editor window, not the list of calendars in the main window.

I apologize for not explaining this better previously. Please let me know if it's still unclear, or if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

Dee RQ

Post by Dee RQ » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:04 am

Hi there

Thanks again, I am so happy you answer so fast, seems you have a pager or something (smile). Now I got it, and it works just fine!! Thanks! it's ok, you don't have to apologize, it's me the clumsy one here, I guess it's the old story: someone who knows too much meets the newbie who knows nothing; thanks again, very helpful. I keep on fidgeting around with it, hopefully I can manage from here (at least for a while!)

soahs

Post by soahs » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:18 pm

I not only need to find out to create new events, I need to know how to get new calendars going. Even in the online help I cannot find a you are here. First do this. Now do this. I can create lots of new calendars but when I go to find them I can't. Isn't there a create my first calendar 101 somewhere? (I am embarrassed to ask this!)

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:34 pm

Hi soahs, welcome to the forums. There is a bit of a learning curve, especially if you've never used calendar software in the past. I'll try give you a better explanation. Please let me know if any of the following is unclear. Also, you can click the links below to access the relevant sections of the help documentation (Pro version).

Calendars are listed in the Calendar Items area of the main window. Perhaps you have this area of the window turned off? You can make it visible by clicking the "Calendar Items" command on the View menu.

Here's how to create a new event:

1. Click the File menu (upper-left corner), and then select "New -> Event" from the menu.

2. An Event Editor will appear, where you can enter the details of the event.

3. If you have multiple calendars, you can pick which calendar the new event should be associated with by clicking the drop-down arrow in the "Calendars" input field.

4. When finished, click the "Save and Close" button in the upper-left corner of the Event Editor window.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

soahs

Post by soahs » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:54 pm

Hi, thanks for your help. I did get a new calendar created, what I want to do is to enter daily spending for each day I have to make payments in this "My Budget Calendar". So far I find that I have to turn all of the other calendars off. Let's say I want to have a single calendar with moon phases, US holidays, and my relatives birthdays. (Because we want to know what happened on the day they were born)

But in order to view the other calendar which is My Budget Calendar, I have to turn three of them off (moon, US, and my custom relatives birthdays). Is this how it works? If so I can do that, but it is rather tedious. I thought I could combine for example the three in "My Family Calendar". Then have My Budget Calendar seperate so I wouldn't have to be turning anything on or off.

Everything is still a little fuzzy ...

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:50 pm

I apologize for the confusion. You don't need to turn off (aka filter) all the calendars you want to see except one. I'm not sure what caused that impression. You can have them all displayed at the same time, using the check-boxes in the Calendar Items list. Events belonging to different calendars will overlay in the same Day/Week/Month view.

If you're looking at the Month view and you see a downward pointing arrow at the bottom of a date, that means there are more events occurring on that date than space available to be displayed. If that's what you're seeing, which is giving you the impression that you have to filter calendars in order to view other calendars, there's a simple solution. Click the "Zoom In" button at the upper-right corner of the Month view. This will reduce the number of weeks and increase the amount of space available for events.

Alternatively, if you're using the Pro version, click the "Settings" button in the upper-right corner and uncheck the "Word Wrap" option. This may cause event titles to be clipped, but each event will only appear on a single row, so more events can fit within the available space.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if I've misunderstood.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

soahs

Post by soahs » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:15 am

I'm afraid I haven't explained things properly. What is happening, if I create a calendar and put everyone's birthday in it, then I create another calendar so I can enter in each day what I have spent for the day, each calendar will show the other's events and notes.

That is, my relatives birthday calendar will show what I have spent for the day. And My Spending Calendar will not only show what I spent for each day, it will also whow everyone's birthday.

Now if I turn one of them off, then it won't show in the other. I would rather not do this. I am obviously missing something.