Workflows

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
dlark

Workflows

Post by dlark » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:52 pm

Hi
Can you advise if there is provision to create a reuseable workflow e.g.

enquiry ->quote->order->job->step1->step2..... analysis->draft report->report->invoice.

Each step takes a defined time - maybe days apart and there maybe several similar or dissimilar workflos that are held and recycled from a library.

Apologies if this "newbie" question has an obvious answer. :)

Regards

David

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Workflows

Post by VueSoft » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:14 pm

Hi David, welcome to the forums. The feature you described is not in the current version. However, it has been completed for the next version. A parent task will be able to have any number of child tasks, which can have start dates dependent on the completion or due date of previous tasks.

In essence, a "workflow" would be the top-level parent task. In your example, the top-level parent task would be named something like "Project X", which would then consist of child tasks named "Enquiry", "Quote", "Order", etc. The top-level task can be copied and pasted to create a new workflow of the same hierarchical structure. Also, each child task can also have any number of its own child tasks, so "Quote" could be another re-usable workflow consisting of several child task steps.

I'll post a reply when the next version is available for download. Please let me know if what I've described sounds like it won't satisfy your requirements, or if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

dlark

Post by dlark » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:34 pm

Mmm... sounds perfect for our purpose.

Will the wait be long for the next update?

Thanks

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:42 pm

Hi David, I don't have a firm release date yet. There are still a number of planned improvements that are either still in work or haven't been started yet.

Version 9.0 will be the most ambitious update yet, and will significantly enhance the functionality of the software. With that said, I'm hoping to have 9.0 ready for public beta testing by the beginning of December, with an official release coming around the end of the year. However, no promises on those dates.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

dlark

Post by dlark » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:22 pm

Thanks Dan

Your timeframe for this most ambitious next step seems onerous & I wish you well.. Much appreciate the contact and the openess which allows user input.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:07 am

This has been partially completed in version 9.0. Tasks can now be nested. This feature is explained in more detail here:
http://www.vueminder.com/index.php?mact ... eturnid=61

Version 9.0 will be released on January 22. A release-candidate beta is available for download, if you're interested:
http://www.vueminder.com/forums/phpBB3/ ... ?f=5&t=707

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to finish the re-usable workflow idea. I have this on my list for a following release and will post a reply when it's completed.
Dan Chartrand, Founder