Suggestion for event reminder revision for Pro users

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!
0jkensler0

Suggestion for event reminder revision for Pro users

Post by 0jkensler0 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:48 pm

Have the option for pro users sync their calendar with a small Vueminder server which will run their event reminders even if the user's computer is off.

While I can't speak for everyone out there, my personal feeling on the matter is that I would be willing to pay an extra dollar per year to help with the server upkeep costs if it meant I wouldn't have to pay the electricity to keep my personal desktop computer on 24/7.

Data on the server itself could be kept as simple as: calendar event-account holder-reminder time- location reminder is to be sent to- repeat? Y<how often?>/N. And the only data the server would need to retain at sync would be the event reminder data so even a fairly small server would be able to handle it.
That's about the sum of my suggestion.

Thanks for your time and support,

JLK

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Suggestion for event reminder revision for Pro users

Post by VueSoft » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:13 am

Hi JLK, thank you for the suggestion and welcome to the forums. A web-based component to VueMinder Calendar is definitely on my list of long-term development goals - something that could take on Google Calendar and integrate nicely with VueMinder on PCs as well as VueMinder apps on mobile devices (iPhone, Android, etc). I believe this is where the future is heading, and VueMinder will continue to evolve.

As for what's in the immediate future, I'm planning to improve VueMinder (possibly in the next version) to wake the computer out of sleep mode when email or SMS reminders are scheduled to be transmitted. After the reminder is sent, the computer will be put back into sleep mode. I think that will address your concerns, although I agree a web-based server solution would be nice.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Suggestion for event reminder revision for Pro users

Post by VueSoft » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:18 pm

The next version (9.0) has been improved to temporarily wake the computer out of sleep/hibernate mode when an email, SMS, or voice reminder is scheduled to be transmitted. After the reminder is sent, the computer will be returned to sleep mode. If you don't want the computer to wake from sleep mode, this option can be disabled via the Reminder Options window.

A beta is available and can be downloaded here:
http://www.vueminder.com/forums/phpBB3/ ... ?f=5&t=707

Note, this feature will only work if the computer settings are properly configured.
  • In "Control Panel > Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings > Sleep > Allow Wake Timers", all items are enabled.
  • If there is no password set on your Windows account, make sure that in "Control Panel > Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings > Additional Settings > Require a password on wakeup", all items are disabled.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA