The beta is now completed and version 9.0 has been officially released. It can be downloaded here:
I'm pleased to announce that beta versions are now available for version 9.0! The download links below can be found below.
First, a quick summary of what's coming... VueMinder Calendar's name is being simplified to VueMinder, dropping the "Calendar" part of the name. As of version 9.0, there will be a new addition to the VueMinder family - VueMinder Ultimate. The Ultimate version expands on the features provided in the Pro version. It's geared toward power-users and anyone that needs even more flexibility than what's provided in the Pro version. The Ultimate version will eventually include a developer API, so businesses can further extend the software to meet their unique needs, and 3rd party developers can create their own add-ons (more on this in the months to come).
There are also some other modifications to the lineup. VueMinder Calendar Portable is being renamed to VueMinder Pro USB. The Lite and Ultimate versions will also have USB variants. VueMinder Calendar Enterprise is being renamed to VueMinder Pro Site. There will also be a VueMinder Ultimate Site version. The Site variants are licensed to an entire site, but are otherwise identical to the regular Pro and Ultimate versions. The USB variants don't need to be installed, don't modify anything on the host computer, and can run from a USB stick. The Lite version will remain free, and the Lite USB version will also be free.
Here's a summary of the new VueMinder product lineup, as of version 9.0:
- VueMinder Lite (Formerly VueMinder Calendar Lite)
- VueMinder Lite USB (NEW)
- VueMinder Pro (Formerly VueMinder Calendar Pro)
- VueMinder Pro USB (Formerly VueMinder Calendar Portable)
- VueMinder Pro Site (Formerly VueMinder Calendar Enterprise)
- VueMinder Ultimate (NEW)
- VueMinder Ultimate USB (NEW)
- VueMinder Ultimate Site (NEW)
The Ultimate version is not for sale yet, but will be available after beta testing is finished. This should happen in January, well before the 60-day trial expiration. Also, if you currently own a Pro license and your update protection has not expired, there will be a substantial discount if you choose to upgrade to the Ultimate version.
Note, if you currently own a Pro license and install the Ultimate version, it will become a 60-day trial. Your license information for the Pro version is not removed. If you decide to return to the Pro version, the Ultimate version can be uninstalled and the Pro version re-installed.
A series of blog articles is being written to highlight the more significant updates. You can read the articles here. The full release notes are listed below.
VueMinder Lite 9.0 Beta 4
Here's a summary of the updates in the Lite version. These improvements are also in the Pro and Ultimate versions.
- Added the ability to schedule an additional popup reminder or desktop alert based on the event ending time. Currently, the reminders are based on the starting time, and have to be snoozed to make them appear again at the ending time.
- Added a "Webcals" group to the "Add Public Calendars and Holidays" window. This allows addition of many other calendars that aren't listed elsewhere, including dynamic calendars that are based on a geographical location, such as weather forecasts or sunrise/sunset times.
- Added the ability to specify a range of time slots that are visible in the Day and Week views. Time slots outside this range will be hidden. This option is on the Calendar Options window.
- Added a "Go to Date" button to the date navigation bar shown at the top of the Day, Week, and Month views.
- Improved the task tray icon to show today's activities when the mouse is hovered over the icon or when VueMinder first starts.
- Improved the main window title bar to show the name of the currently active calendar.
- Improved the Details Pane to automatically detect web page links in plain-text event descriptions.
- Improved the description editor. When a plain-text description is opened containing URLs, those URLs will be automatically converted to links, which can be opened by holding the Ctrl key while clicking the link.
- Improved the Calendar field in the Event Editor to show a drop-down of existing calendar names as a calendar name is typed.
- Improved the right-click menu for calendars that are synced, to have a "Sync Calendar" command. Previously, this command was available under a "Sharing" sub-menu on the popup menu, which was more difficult to find.
- Improved the Options window to move the Work Day options to their own tab, reducing clutter on the Calendar Options tab.
- Improved editing of recurring events. If the specified start date is inconsistent with the specified recurrence pattern, a warning message will appear.
- Improved the "Add Public Calendars and Holidays" window to allow previously added calendars to be removed.
- Improved the time input field in the various editor windows, such as the Event Editor. The field now has up/down buttons for quickly making minor adjustments.
- Improved program performance, especially when there are a large number of recurring events that have occurrence numbering enabled or reminders enabled.
- Improved the "Add Birthday" and "Add Anniversary" buttons at the top of the Contact Editor. If a date hasn't been entered in the Contact Editor, these buttons will no longer be disabled. Instead, clicking these buttons will prompt for a date.
- Improved various windows to disable related input fields instead of completely hiding the fields, if an associated setting has not been enabled. For example, the Recurrence tab of the Event Editor will now show input fields even if the event hasn't been set to recur.
- Corrected a problem where duplicate events would sometimes be shown, especially when synced with Google Calendar.
- Corrected a problem with reminders for recurring events sometimes not properly being snoozed/dismissed and returning after 1 minute.
- Corrected the conflicting event warning to ignore events that were previously deleted from calendars that are synced with Google Calendar.
- Corrected a problem with recurring event variations not properly being subscribed or imported when the variations have titles that are different than the main series.
- Corrected the "Delete/Overwrite Events" window, which can appear if importing an ICS file into a pre-existing calendar that contains events not found in the ICS file. The window will no longer be obscured behind the "Import Events" window.
- Corrected exporting ICS files to include time zone information. This will ensure the event times are properly imported by Google Calendar and possibly other programs.
- Corrected the Details Pane for events that have quotes in their descriptions. The Details Pane was showing the HTML code (") for quotes.
- Corrected the popup balloon when hovering over an event that has an & character in its location field. The popup was showing raw HTML.
- Corrected a problem with carriage returns being removed from events that are synced with Google Calendar, if the event descriptions in Google Calendar have multiple lines.
- Corrected problems importing events from ICS files when mixed units are used in the alarm triggers (example: -PT1W3D).
- Corrected importing events from ICS files when the events have empty status values.
- Corrected the subscription setting that allows reminders and extended data to be included. This option will be enabled by default.
- Corrected errors that can sometimes occur when subscribing or importing ICS calendars that were generated by Outlook/Hotmail/Exchange.
- Corrected the Description text editor when opening an event, to position the caret at the beginning of the text, rather than the end. This eliminates the need to scroll up to the beginning of the text.
- Corrected a problem where a new event could be marked read-only if the active calendar is a subscription and the first calendar in the list is a read-only 1-way Google Calendar. The new event was being improperly assigned to the read-only Google Calendar.
- Corrected maximizing the desktop calendar when positioned on a secondary monitor. It was being maximized on the primary monitor instead of the secondary monitor.
- Corrected the current date highlight shown on the mini desktop calendar and navigation pane to automatically refresh when the date changes.
- Corrected the popup reminder window when multiple reminders are displayed and the active reminder is snoozed or dismissed. The next reminder in the list will be made active, instead of the first reminder.
- Corrected a problem with the global hot-keys for showing the main window and desktop calendar being reset after an update.
- Corrected a problem in the editor window, where pressing Alt+Up or Alt+Down would result in anomalous behavior.
- Corrected a problem where the process vueminder.exe would sometimes continue to run after VueMinder was exited.
- Corrected restoring from a backup, to not assume the same data location that was used previously.
- Many other minor improvements and corrections.
The Pro version includes all the improvements made to the Lite version. In addition, it adds the following...
- Added the ability to sync tasks with Google Calendar.
- Added numerous improvements to task editing, such as the ability to define nested tasks, tasks that start when other tasks are completed, or are due when the last sub-task is due. Also added input fields for task status and percent completion.
- Added an option to wake the computer to send email or SMS reminders, and then return the computer to sleep mode. This option can be found on the Reminder Options window.
- Added the ability to choose the sync direction when syncing with Outlook. 1-way syncing is now enabled, which will prevent VueMinder from making any modifications to the Outlook calendar when syncing.
- Added an option when printing the List layout style for printing only the first column in color, instead of all columns. This will help reduce the amount of color ink/toner used.
- Added the ability to span a single month across 2 pages when printing the Monthly layout.
- Added settings for email reminders to select whether the event summary should be sent, event description only, or both the summary and description. A similar setting has also been added to the Task Editor.
- Added an option to the Save as Web Page window for excluding item links in the details. This option can be used if events/tasks are linked to contacts, but these links should not be seen by the public.
- Improved the columns on the Notes list, to allow grouping, hiding of columns, saving/loading filters, and other advanced commands. The columns are now consistent with the Event and Task lists.
- Improved the Notes list to allow row heights to be adjusted, so the full note text can be viewed from within the list.
- Improved the FTP upload when saving the calendar to a web page. The upload will now happen in the background and won't lock up some computers.
- Improved the Details Pane and popup balloon for tasks, to show the associated task calendar name.
- Improved program performance when a large number of tasks have been defined.
- Corrected a problem when syncing the same calendar with both Outlook and Google Calendar, where events would sometimes disappear.
- Corrected a problem where a duplicate event could be generated in Google Calendar if an event is assigned to a different calendar that is also synced with Google Calendar, using the Calendar drop-down in the Event Editor.
- Corrected syncing events with Outlook, if the event title is changed in Outlook. Previously, a duplicate event would be generated in VueMinder and the Outlook event title would revert back to the previous value.
- Corrected line breaks in event descriptions when syncing with Outlook. New line breaks were being added to events each time they synced, if their description was plain text instead of formatted text.
- Corrected publishing calendars. The option to convert event times to UTC was being ignored, which resulted in incorrect event times when viewing the published calendar on in ical-mac, icalx, etc.
- Corrected a problem with some events not appearing in Google Calendar when a calendar contains multiple events of the same title on the same date.
- Corrected importing events that have email reminders, but no other reminder types. The reminders were not getting properly enabled.
- Corrected importing tasks and notes for Excel or CSV files, when a Calendar column is present. Duplicates were sometimes generated, instead of existing tasks and notes being updated if previously imported.
- Corrected importing contacts when the imported contacts are associated with categories that don't currently exist in VueMinder. The new categories will now be properly added to the Categories list.
- Corrected the wrapping of task titles in the Month view. Text will no longer wrap if the Word Wrap option in the Month View Settings menu is disabled.
- Corrected a problem with the Monthly print layout, where item heights were sometimes too small, causing wrapped text to be clipped and not fully visible.
- Corrected printing of the List layout, where empty row lines were sometimes being output.
- Corrected printing of the Details layout, to not show events that have been previously deleted. This could happen for events that belong to shared calendars or are synced with Google Calendar.
- Corrected date numbers in the mini desktop calendar for dates that contain tasks. Sometimes, the date numbers weren't visible.
- Corrected right-clicking of tasks in the Tasks list when tasks are hidden from the calendar. The task row wouldn't be selected and the popup menu would be missing commands. A similar correction has also been made for the Notes list.
- Corrected display of notes in the Notes list and calendar view. Notes that started with an empty line were not showing any text.
- Corrected deleting of rows in the Event, Task, and Note lists using the Delete key, if rows are grouped.
- Corrected generation of repeating tasks to check if a previous instance of the repeating task was already generated. This will prevent duplicate tasks from being created if a previously completed task is changed to be incomplete and then completed again.
- Corrected a problem where the clock type (analog or digital) would sometimes be switched or would not be restored after restarting VueMinder.
- Corrected the "Action" tab in the Task Editor to be disabled for tasks that don't have due dates. Tasks need a date in order for VueMinder to know when to display a reminder.
- Corrected a problem with the SMS or voice reminder settings for events or tasks. If no reminder recipients are selected, a warning will be displayed instead of the reminder settings being discarded.
- Corrected a problem with scheduled voice phone reminder times not being saved if multiple voice reminders are scheduled to be sent at the same time for the same event, but to different phone numbers (Home, Business, Mobile). Only the first entry was being saved.
- Corrected the Send Now button for voice reminders that were previously sent. The voice reminder was being sent to a home phone number instead of being sent to the phone number that was previously scheduled.
- Corrected a problem with voice reminders sometimes not going through (depending on phone service provider) if the caller ID number specified in the SMS/Voice options is the same as the phone number being dialed.
- Corrected the "Link New -> Task" command on the Links tab. The command wasn't creating a new task.
- Corrected a problem with date numbers sometimes not being easily visible in the Monthly print layout when a non-default appearance theme is used.
- Corrected an error message that could sometimes appear when VueMinder is first started and calendars are shared.
- Corrected the tooltip for the Email toolbar command in the Task and Note editor windows.
- Corrected the "Include reminders" check box on the Import Events window, when importing from Outlook, to default to be checked if it was checked previously.
- Corrected the current date color in the mini desktop calendar and calendar navigation pane, if a color has been specified in the Appearance Options. Previously, the color of the first item occurring on the date would override the specified color option.
- Many other minor improvements and corrections.
The Ultimate version includes all the improvements made to the Lite and Pro versions. In addition, it adds the following...
- Added the ability to share tasks, notes, and contacts over a local network. Contact sharing can be enabled on the Sharing Options window. Task and note sharing can be enabled via a new Sharing tab in the Calendar Properties window.
- Added the ability to define custom input fields for contacts, events, tasks, and notes. These fields are entered on the "Custom" tab of the editor window.
- Added the ability to sync custom field definitions over a local network.
- Added the ability to import/export custom data in events, tasks, notes, and contacts.
- Added the ability to view custom data columns in the Event, Task, Note, and Contact lists. Columns for custom fields can be filtered, grouped, re-arranged, sorted, etc.