VueMinder has stopped working

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
Ron

VueMinder has stopped working

Post by Ron » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:20 am

Hi,

After running Windows Update and applying the following updates:

Code: Select all

Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended (KB2468871)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended (KB2487367)
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2468871)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2518870)
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2533523)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2539636)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2572078)
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended (KB2533523)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended (KB2656351)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2656351)
I couldn't start VueMinder anymore. It immediately crashed with the "VueMinder has stopped working" (AppCrash) pop-up.

In the recent past I've had this same problem with VueMinder after installing "Microsoft AutoRoute 2011" which also installed some .NET (4 ?) stuff.

This all happened on my new laptop, running Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 with all fixes applied.

On my two desktops, running Win7 Ultimate x86 (one of these acting as the VueMinder server), I've never had this kind of problem.

My guess is that there is a severe stability problem with VueMinder on Win7 x64 systems and the various .NET Framework versions.

Yes, I do love VueMinder, but these kinds of issues seriously do spoil the fun.

(I've sometimes had some other "VueMinder has stopped working" issues with VueMinder as well, but these magically disappeared somehow).

I did read two older topics about this subject, but they were pretty old, so I started a new topic.

Is there any way I can force VueMinder (with a start-up parameter) to create a log or dump file?
(I'm running VueMinder Pro v8.4.1)

Thanks in advance,

Ron[/color]

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: VueMinder has stopped working

Post by VueSoft » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:59 pm

Hi Ron, I apologize for the problem. For what it's worth, I do most of the development on a Win7 SP1 x64 machine with all the latest .NET and system updates, including the ones listed above. I'm not sure what happened during your most recent update to cause the problem.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling? Does a reboot help?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Ron

Post by Ron » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:49 am

Hi Dan,

First of all I would like to wish you a very happy 2012!

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling? Does a reboot help?

A reboot was of course the first thing I tried, but to no avail.

Then I followed your suggestion to uninstall and reinstall Vueminder. (After backing-up my system) I used Revo Uninstaller to uninstall Vueminder, followed by manually removing all traces of Vueminder from my C-drive and from the registry. Rebooted the system and (re)installed Vueminder.

What then happened is that at the same time as the installer's window with the "Finish" button appeared, also the "Vueminder has stopped working" (AppCrash) window popped up.

I've also tried to install the latest beta version, but here the results were exactly the same.

I did find some files that might be helpful in debugging this issue:

1) The "Details Info" from the AppCrash window
2) A "Report.wer" file in the "C:\Users\Ron\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_VueMinder.exe__74faf0fc4f9c19b0149f80ac1b49e8d76ebe5b15_177c44ad" folder

These are from a few days ago (before the uninstall/reinstall).

and three additional "Report.wer" files from today, after the uninstall/reinstall.

If they are of any use I can send them to you (9 KB zipped).

Ron

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:34 am

Hi Ron, could you email those files to me? Please send them to support(at)vueminder.com.

It sounds like something might have happened during the Windows update that corrupted a system file VueMinder uses. Have you tried repairing the .NET Framework installation? That might fix it.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

Ron

Post by Ron » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:54 am

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your help. It won't be necessary anymore to upload the files to you since your suggestion to "repair the .NET Framework installation" apparently did the trick. Don't know what went wrong in the past though. (I used the "Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Standalone Installer", dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe for the repair action).

VueMinder is up and running again on my laptop.

Cheers,

Ron

Ron

Post by Ron » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:09 pm

Hi Dan,

After updating v9.0.1 to v9.0.2 today the same(?) problem returned. At the end of the install process, I got the "Vueminder has stopped working" popup again (this also had happened when I updated v9.0.0 to v9.0.1, however I got that one working at the time, but can't remember how).

So, what I did this time (after a system backup) was completely uninstalled the "Microsoft .NET Framework 4" and Vueminder itself (using Revo uninstaller).

After the necessary restarts I re-installed the .NET Framework 4 and applied it's updates using Windows Update.

Then I downloaded "VueMinderLatest.msi" (link from this post: http://www.vueminder.com/forums/phpBB3/ ... 3183#p3183 and installed it, but again the install process ended with a "Vueminder has stopped working" popup.

After this I reran the installer following your instructions in the reply to leott (in the post I mentioned above): "msiexec /i VueMinderLatest.msi /L* logfile.txt"

I'll send this logfile.txt, the Details from the error popup, and the Report.wer file from the "C:\Users\Ron\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_VueMinder.exe_619e1b304f39dcc64796fbb1e3b4e7167df2e9_143ed1bf" folder to support(@)vueminder.com.

Ron

stormseye

Post by stormseye » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:59 pm

Ron, Dan

Have either of you had any luck solving this issue? I appear to be having the same problem, which I have posted here: http://www.vueminder.com/forums/phpBB3/ ... ?f=5&t=784

I ran the msi install variant to get an install log. The resulting logfile.txt seems to say that the install itself completed without any problems (I'll email the lengthy log if requested).

The .wer files seem to say the same as the Windows Event Viewer shows (see my post).

It appears the installation completes okay but that the application itself crashes on startup. Several people seem to be having this problem; eg: http://www.vueminder.com/forums/phpBB3/ ... ?f=5&t=764

I would really like to use this software and would probably buy the Pro version, but this is rather strange behavior.

Jerry

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:14 pm

Hi Jerry, I think I might have found what is causing the problem. However, since I'm unable to duplicate the problem on any of my computers, this is just an educated guess.

Can you try installing the 9.0.3 beta linked below, and let me know if you see any improvement?
VueMinder Lite 9.0.3 Beta 1
Dan Chartrand, Founder

Ron

Post by Ron » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:49 pm

stormseye wrote:Ron, Dan

Have either of you had any luck solving this issue? I appear to be having the same problem,.....

Hi Dan & Jerry,

I've done a lot of testing during the past week (pretty time consuming due to the many (Acronis) partition backup and recovery tasks involved), installing various versions of Vueminder (posted in the forum by Dan) and repairing or uninstalling/reinstalling things such as .NET v4 and I will still perform more tests in the near future.

My conclusions for the time being are:

• It's not the installer that's crashing, but Vueminder itself when being started at the end of the installation (or update) process.

My initial thoughts about the installer crashing were because the "Installation Completed" window was mostly hidden behind the "AppCrash" window, so I didn't notice the "Installation Completed" message.
  • I discovered one very weird thing: Although a freshly installed or updated Vueminder would still not start after a system reboot, nor 5 minutes later, it DID start normally after I had left my system alone (still switched on) for about half an hour.

Since I've never heard about software that needs warming up :D, I guess some kind of background process must have been started to "repair" things. After this "repair" has happened, Vueminder won't crash anymore (until the next update :cry: ).

It was just by accident that I discovered this, when after test-installing my original VueMinder_Pro_Setup_Full_8.4.1 file (crashing when done) , I rebooted my system about half an hour later for some other reason and Vueminder started normally.

During my tests I found out that this miracle was very consistent after each installation (from scratch), or update.

Ron

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:06 am

Hi Ron, thank you for the information and for your efforts in helping to track this down. During installation, VueMinder will kick off an "ngen" process to improve software performance by generating native images for the assemblies VueMinder uses.

It's possible this is interfering with the execution of VueMinder on some computers, although I have yet to duplicate this on any of my test computers. The ngen process can take several minutes to complete, but this is supposed to happen in the background without affecting VueMinder's startup.

The USB version doesn't use ngen, which might be another clue as to why the USB version works when the non-USB version doesn't - they both use the same assemblies, and their code is nearly identical.

Anyway, I think you helped point me in the right direction. I'll do some more digging to find a way to solve this problem, and will let you know if I have any breakthroughs.
Dan Chartrand, Founder