Reminder sound not working

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
dr_hersh

Reminder sound not working

Post by dr_hersh » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:45 pm

The desktop reminder pops up at the appropriate time, but no sound. I know the appropriate boxes are correctly checked. I know my speakers are working as other programs successfully produce sound through them. It is my perception that this is a relatively new problem. Help, please and thanks.

David

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Reminder sound not working

Post by VueSoft » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:17 pm

Hi David, I'm not sure why you're not getting sound. Which sound type do you have selected on the Content tab of the reminder settings? Is it a wave file? If so, please be aware that only PCM-formatted wave files can be played. Since both PCM and non-PCM wave files have the same file extension, this can become confusing. I'd suggest clicking the "Preview" button (on the "When") tab, to test whether the sound will play. Also, check the "Loop" box to make the sound repeat until dismissed/snoozed.

You could also use the "Play voice reminder" option, instead of playing a wave file. I find this reminder setting more useful, since a voice recites what the reminder is for, and I don't need to be distracted from what I'm currently working on or looking at.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

dr_hersh

Post by dr_hersh » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:12 pm

Wow, I never even read about a voice reminder. That might work in some situations, but not others. My other computer is out, yet again, for repair, and I'll have the sound problem checked out, too.

Thanks,
David

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:40 pm

David, in case you missed it in my response, the most likely reason wav files aren't playing, especially if you can hear other sounds through your speakers, is because the wave files are not the standard PCM format. The desktop alert is currently only compatible with the PCM format. This is due to a codec and I could get very technical but I'll spare you the details. Just be aware that your computer repair shop will probably say nothing's wrong with sound playback on your computer.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA