VueMinder hangs while loading

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
Chazworth

VueMinder hangs while loading

Post by Chazworth » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:02 pm

A couple of days ago, VueMinder became unusable as it hangs while the application is loading. Specifically, when I launch the app, the VueMinder splash screen appears and the progress bar on the splash screen begins moving across. When the progress bar is about half way across, it stops. No more progress, and I eventually have to use Task Manager to kill the application.

I saw a thread below from earlier in March, and I have spent time rebooting, uninstalling and reinstalling VueMinder, etc. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling .net. Those steps had no effect on the symptoms.

Any advice? I am desperate to get the application running again.

Thanks. Charlie

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: VueMinder hangs while loading

Post by VueSoft » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:27 pm

Hi Charlie, welcome to the forums. If reinstalling didn't fix it, there might be something wrong with the data file. Please try resetting the data by using the utility linked below:
http://www.vueminder.com/download/ResetData.zip

After resetting the data and restarting VueMinder, use the “Restore Data” command on the File menu to restore from a backup. Try to pick a backup that was generated before you started seeing the problem.

Note, I’m assuming you didn’t disable the automatic backup feature, which generates a backup of the data every 8 hours (by default). If you don’t see any backup checkpoints, search your hard drive for files having a “vbackup” extension, or browse to the “Backups” subfolder of VueMinder’s private data folder. The path can be found in the Program Options window. You should see some backup files in that folder, unless you changed the backup settings.

Please let me know if that doesn't fix the problem.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Chazworth

Post by Chazworth » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:52 pm

Thanks for your help. I ran the resetter (with VueMinder closed), but same result. The app hangs while loading.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:33 am

Hi Charlie, could you try doing a Windows system restore to an earlier checkpoint? Maybe one of the system files VueMinder uses has become corrupted.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

Chazworth

Post by Chazworth » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:14 am

Unfortunately I don't have any restore points available prior to the problem cropping up several days ago. An update to the symptoms:

After resetting the data and relaunching VueMinder, the app still freezes on the splash screen. However, if I wait about 15 minutes, the app eventually opens. I have been able to restore my old data, so it is functioning, but with a 15-minute delay upon opening the app.

Chazworth

Post by Chazworth » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:34 pm

I see now that although VueMinder is now open, it is not running properly. For instance, when I try to create a new task, the app freezes for a couple of minutes, but never opens the new task dialog. It eventually becomes responsive again, but not much help if I can't add tasks. Other operations also seem to put the app into a frozen state.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:48 pm

Hi Charlie, do you have your Windows installation DVD? If so, boot to the DVD and then select the "Repair" option. This should fix any damaged system files.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

Chazworth

Post by Chazworth » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:08 pm

Thanks, Dan. I will check that out. Have a good weekend.