Stop Google sync

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
dr_hersh

Stop Google sync

Post by dr_hersh » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:43 pm

When I boot up, it asks me if I want to sign in to Google or work offline. I'd like this to stop. I've decided not to sync with Google. Help, please and thanks.

David

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Stop Google sync

Post by VueSoft » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:07 pm

Hi David, to disable Google Calendar syncing, open the Calendar Properties of the calendar that is being synced. The calendar icon in your list of calendars will have a blue circle with the letter G, to indicate it is synced. In the Calendar Properties, click the "Google Calendar" tab. At the top of that tab, uncheck the box labeled "Synchronize with Google Calendar". Repeat for any other calendars that you are syncing with Google Calendar.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

dr_hersh

Post by dr_hersh » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:54 pm

I'll see if it works.

Another issue is that under the Edit tab is an item called Calendar Properties. When I open that, it lists a calendar as Birthday/Anniversary, which is one of my categories, but it doesn't list my Calendar which I call David's Calendar, and it doesn't let me change the name to David's Calendar.

On the laptop at the Edit tab, in the same place as where is says Calendar Properties on the desktop computer, it says Assign to Calendar and when clicked gives a bunch of options including David's Calendar (2), Canadian Holidays, US Holidays, events, New Calendar Subscription, Birthday/Anniversary, *Skype, and David'd Calendar (clearly a typo).

Why are the two computers showing different items at this tab, and how may I correct my issues?

Thanks,
David

dr_hersh

Post by dr_hersh » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:46 am

Dan,

Nope. At bootup, on both desktop and laptop, it asks me if I want to work offline. I can't get that to stop. I also have great confusion about how to manage calendars, change calendar names, delete calendars. Please and thanks.

David

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:50 pm

Hi David, I'll try to answer all your questions.
Nope. At bootup, on both desktop and laptop, it asks me if I want to work offline. I can't get that to stop.
This can also happen if you've configured any of your calendars to be published or subscribed to a server that requires login information, as explained in the first paragraph of the associated documentation. Try opening the Calendar Properties for each calendar and ensure the checkboxes at the top of the the "Subscribe" and "Publish" tabs are unchecked. Also, ensure that all calendars have the checkbox to enable Google syncing unchecked. If you're not sure how to open the Calendar Properties for each calendar, double-click the name of the calendar in the Calendar Items list. Repeat for each listed calendar. The message you're seeing will only happen if one of the calendars is trying to connect to something. It shouldn't spontaneously appear for no reason.
I also have great confusion about how to manage calendars, change calendar names, delete calendars.
You can change the calendar name by right-clicking a calendar's name and selecting the "Rename" command. You can delete a calendar by right-clicking and selecting the "Delete Calendar" command. There are also several other ways to accomplish these tasks, such as via the Calendar Properties window, where the calendar name can be changed via the text field at the top of the window and a "Delete" button is provided at the bottom of the window to remove the calendar. The design is about as intuitive as I know how to make it. Please read the Calendar Items and Calendar Properties documentation and let me know if it's still unclear. Also, if you have ideas on how I could improve the design to make these capabilities easier to find, I'm open to any suggestions.
Another issue is that under the Edit tab is an item called Calendar Properties. When I open that, it lists a calendar as Birthday/Anniversary, which is one of my categories, but it doesn't list my Calendar which I call David's Calendar, and it doesn't let me change the name to David's Calendar.
The Edit menu is dynamic and will provide commands appropriate to what is currently selected (i.e., the thing in the window that you last clicked, which could be a calendar name, event, category, contact, etc.). This is all explained in great detail in the Edit Menu documentation, where the commands for each type of selection are listed and described.
On the laptop at the Edit tab, in the same place as where is says Calendar Properties on the desktop computer, it says Assign to Calendar and when clicked gives a bunch of options including David's Calendar (2), Canadian Holidays, US Holidays, events, New Calendar Subscription, Birthday/Anniversary, *Skype, and David'd Calendar (clearly a typo).
Sounds like you have an event selected. Try clicking a calendar name to select a calendar (in the "Calendars" tab of the Calendar Items area of the main window). Notice how the Edit menu changes. For future reference, I find it's usually easier to right-click stuff, since the same commands are provided as in the Edit menu, and right-clicking gives me a better idea of the context of the commands, since the menu immediately appears right next to the thing that was right-clicked.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if I haven't explain this well enough, or if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

dr_hersh

Post by dr_hersh » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:38 pm

Dan,

I think I've figured some of it out. I think part of it is that I view in Month view only and had a bit of a time trying to figure out where the calendar list is located. I'm also sure my color choices are somewhat interferent with what can and cannot be easily seen.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd be glad to have every event in one calendar, and the additional one that's there for Birthdays/Anniversaries is simply unnecessary. Is there a way to copy all the data that's in the B/A calendar to my main calendar and delete the B/A calendar? How that calendar got created in the first place, I don't know.

I may have been successful stopping the initial dialogue asking me if I want to work offline. I'd still like to eliminate my email address if you can show me how.

Thanks for your patience.
David

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:15 pm

Hi David, you can assign events from one calendar to another by right-clicking the events and selecting the desired calendar from the "Assign to Calendar" command in the context menu.

I'm not sure what exactly you mean about eliminating your email address. If you entered your email address so you could receive email reminders, you can remove your email address in the Email Settings, accessed via the Options menu. Just select all the text in the Email Address field and then press the Delete key.
Dan Chartrand, Founder