Program loads very slowly

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
MDRiggs

Program loads very slowly

Post by MDRiggs » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:30 pm

I like VueMinder very much, except that it takes an excruciatingly long time to load, as in more than a minute. This is on a reasonably fast Windows 7 desktop running off an SSD. I've never seen anything like it. What could the problem be?

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Program loads very slowly

Post by VueSoft » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:36 pm

I don't know. Typical load times should be 5-10 seconds, not a minute. Have you tried reinstalling?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

MDRiggs

Post by MDRiggs » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:02 pm

Installed Ultimate over Pro -- same problem with both. It sort of loads, but access to the actual calendar takes a long time.

You're in St. Louis? I went to college there.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:43 am

I'm not sure if this will fix it, but please try the following steps:

1. If VueMinder is running, right click its icon in the task tray and select "Exit".

2. On the Start menu, under Accessories, right click the "Command Prompt" shortcut and select "Run as Administrator".

3. At the command prompt, Type this command:
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe install "C:\Program Files (x86)\VueSoft\VueMinder\VueMinder.exe"

4. Wait for the command to finish processing. This can take a minute or two.

5. Close the command prompt and then restart VueMinder. It should load and run a bit faster.

Here are some additional things you can do to improve the performance:
  • In the Program Options, uncheck the box labeled "Automatically check for program updates".
  • In the Calendar Options, reduce the number of days used for upcoming events in the Desktop Calendar.
  • At the top of the Events, Tasks, and Notes tabs, change the date range to something small, like "The next 7 days".
  • This could be an installation problem. To fix it, uninstall VueMinder via the Windows Control Panel. Note, uninstalling is safe and won't affect your data. Before uninstalling, right-click the task tray icon and select "Exit". Next, download and install the latest version here.
I hope that helps. Please let me know if you try all this but still see slow performance.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

MDRiggs

Post by MDRiggs » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

I get the following error message:
Unable to launch CLR version v4.0.30319 to compile this assembly.

This follows a line that says:
CLR Native Image Generator version 2.0.50727.5429.

Am running 32-bit Windows 7 Home Premium, if that's any help.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Sorry, step 3 should have been the following command:
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe install "C:\Program Files (x86)\VueSoft\VueMinder\VueMinder.exe"
Dan Chartrand, Founder

MDRiggs

Post by MDRiggs » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:22 pm

Okay, worked this time, but still didn't help. Before I uninstall and re-install: We won't lose any data or settings, right? My wife will kill me if she has to redo all her customizations.

Thanks again.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:00 pm

Uninstalling and reinstalling won't affect the data or settings. However, if you'd like to play it safe, you can perform a manual backup using the "Backup Data" command on the File menu. This will backup all your data and settings. If you notice anything missing after the reinstall (which shouldn't happen), you can recover the data using the "Restore Data" command, also on the File menu.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

MDRiggs

Post by MDRiggs » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:56 pm

Uninstalled and re-installed -- no change. Works splendidly apart from taking several minutes for the program to load fully (from an SSD). The splash screen finishes quickly enough, but the program really isn't available for quite a while after that. We can live with it, but puzzling and disappointing.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:12 pm

That's odd. On my SSD drive it takes about 5 seconds to fully load. On my lowest-end computer, an old Windows XP computer that has 512 MB RAM and (I think) a 1.5 GHz processor, it takes about 10 seconds. All my other test computers range somewhere between 5 and 10 seconds.

I'm not sure why it's taking so long to load on your computer, but I'll let you know if I think of anything else to try.
Dan Chartrand, Founder