Update reset my Google Sync settings

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
brianvic

Update reset my Google Sync settings

Post by brianvic » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:21 am

Hi,

I've been using Google Sync with 1-way syncing between VueMinder and Google, VM being the master. I had it set this way because 2-way syncing was losing events even if nothing was added or removed, an event would be there one day and not the next. Also the syncing with Google wasn't always working anyway so I was just using it as a rough guide when out and about.

However, after running the latest update I noticed, after a few days, that events I knew should be there were now gone. I then checked the syncing options and they were set to 2-way again. I've put the setting back to 1-way and it is now working as before.

I thought I should mention it in case this affects anyone else in the same way. I would have expected the update to leave my current settings intact.

I should also say that I am still delighted with VueMinder, even with the above minor hiccup. It's almost perfect. I would love to be able to retrieve my emails from Google into VueMinder (leaving a copy in Google for remote access) so that I could then link them to events, contacts and/or tasks. I would then use VueMinder as my master control software and only use Google when away from my desktop.

Are there any plans to perhaps provide a direct sync option with mobile devices, such as Android Smart Phones? That would make me feel slightly more confident about having up-to-date events with me.

Brian

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Update reset my Google Sync settings

Post by VueSoft » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:38 pm

Hi Brian, thanks for the feedback. I'll try to determine why the syncing changed to 2-way. I might have been a hiccup with the update, but I'm not sure. I haven't seen this in my previous testing but I'll take another look.

As for a direct sync option, this is on my list, but I don't know when it will be finished.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

brianvic

Post by brianvic » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:00 am

Hi Dan

I've just updated to 9.1.3 and VM reset my Google update settings to 2-way again. Everything was ok this time as I disconnected from the Internet while the update was installing, just in case. I set it to 1-way in favour of VM again and re-connected.

It probably shouldn't be an issue and if Google matches VM then no harm done, but I do find that Google doesn't always handle events as expected or the syncing between VM and Google doesn't happen as expected.

When syncing from Google to VM events are sometimes automatically removed from VM, even if the events exist in both places AND were originally synced from VM to Google. It's as if the sync process doesn't recognise the Google event as being the same one as in VM, and it should be as I don't create any events directly in Google. It's also very random and I can't see any correlation between the events to figure out what's going on.

Hence, I only sync from VM to Google, which seems to work ok in most cases. If I need to place an event in my calendar when I'm out and about I email it to myself and insert it into VM directly when I get back.

I'm sure this is an issue with Google rather than VM.

Brian

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:02 pm

Hi Brian, thanks for the information. I've tried duplicating the problem with the sync settings being reset to 2-way, but I'm not seeing it happen. I'm not sure what is causing that to occur.

As for events being removed when syncing 2-way, the only way that would happen is if the event is somehow marked as "cancelled" on Google Calendar. When an event is deleted in Google Calendar, its status is changed to "cancelled" behind the scenes. The event is still actually present and gets returned by the Google API, even though you no longer see the event. VueMinder will check for a cancelled status and only then will the event be removed from VueMinder.

That's the only way an event can get removed from VueMinder while syncing. As with Google Calendar, when an event is "removed" in VueMinder, it's not actually deleted. It's just marked as cancelled so it doesn't appear in the calendar.

All that being said, I'm not sure how events would cancel themselves and be removed in Google Calendar and VueMinder when syncing 2-way. I haven't seen this behavior, nor have I received any other reports of this problem. Are you syncing any other software with Google Calendar? Also, do you have any Google Lab items enabled in Google Calendar? Maybe there's some incompatibility that I haven't encountered yet. I can't think of any other explanation.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA