2 Suggestions : Event duration bars and Event end time

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!
gravityz3r0

2 Suggestions : Event duration bars and Event end time

Post by gravityz3r0 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:48 pm

Hi,

I have 2 additional suggestions that i think will make the UI more informative. I'll try to phrase it as best as i can so that you can understand it.

1. At the moment, all the events are shown by a fixed bar length in "Monthly" view. Is it possible to change it such that the bar length reflect the appropriate duration and time of the day? (i.e : a 4 hours event from 8 pm to 11.59pm should only have a short bar covering the last 4th quarter of the day, instead of the full bar covering the whole day)

2. Not sure if this is a bug or intentional. In the event list, all events that spanned over multiple days are listed as the same start time. (i.e : Event start at 10pm 17th July, end at 8am 18th July). At the moment, the event list will show .

07/17/2012 [+7days]
10:00PM EVENT1
07/18/2012 [+8days]

This method of displaying could be a little bit misleading, since it's giving an impression that EVENT1 starts again on the same time the very next day which in fact, is a continuation from the day before.

Doesn't it make more sense and helpful if it displays this instead?

07/17/2012 [+7days]
07/18/2012 [+8days]
->08:00AM EVENT1

What i'm saying is, the last line should display the end time of the entire event instead of starting time.

I am sorry if this was already implemented and that this options are somewhere in the settings but i simply couldn't find it.

Thank you for your time.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: 2 Suggestions : Event duration bars and Event end time

Post by VueSoft » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:27 pm

Hi gravityz3r0, welcome to the forums and thank you for the suggestions.

1. The Month view is not designed to show relative event durations/times using the event block size. There's simply not enough screen resolution to make this work, especially if there are a large number of events occurring on the date. Also, it would be complicated by all-day events or events that span multiple days. Instead,this capability is provided in the Day, Week, and Timeline (Pro version) views.

2. I'll improve the Upcoming Events list to better handle multi-day events that are not marked as all-day. A response will be posted after this improvement is completed.

Thanks again for the feedback. Please let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: 2 Suggestions : Event duration bars and Event end time

Post by VueSoft » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:10 pm

In the event list, all events that spanned over multiple days are listed as the same start time. (i.e : Event start at 10pm 17th July, end at 8am 18th July)
This has been corrected for the next version (10.0). When events have start/end times and span multiple days, the start time will only be shown on the first date in the Upcoming Events list of the Desktop Calendar. A right arrow will be shown next to the time to indicate the event continues on into the next date. On the last date, the ending time will be shown, with a left arrow indicating the event was continued from a previous date. I think this will make the Upcoming Event list a lot more clear when multi-day events are shown.

If you'd like an early look, the beta can be downloaded here:
http://www.vueminder.com/forums/phpBB3/ ... ?f=5&t=908
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA