How to use online iCalendars with more than one user?

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
VMUser

How to use online iCalendars with more than one user?

Post by VMUser » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:15 pm

Because of issues discussed in this thread I'm asking me how is it possible (if at all) to use iCalendars (.ics files), which are saved online, with more than one user.

My problem:

- I want to use calendars with 3 users (me, my wife and my notebook). That means, every user should be able to add and edit events etc. in every calendar.

- The iCalendar files should be placed online on my webserver so I can access it with my notebook from everywhere.

I'm already using such iCalendar files which are placed online on my webserver, but because of some issues this solution is not very reliable. That's why I'm asking is there a reliable solution for this problem or doesn't it simply work that way?

Thanks.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: How to use online iCalendars with more than one user?

Post by VueSoft » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:34 pm

It should work. Based on what you reported in the other thread, it appears the ICS file is occasionally missing some text when uploaded. I don't know what would cause that to happen and I can't duplicate the behavior when using my server and sharing ICS files between multiple computers.

Have you considered using a different server, possibly icalx.com or ical-mac.com? Those are specifically meant for hosting ICS files and might solve the problem you're seeing.

Also, try decreasing the sync frequency, if possible. Instead of syncing every 1 minute, try syncing every 15 minutes. Does that help?
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

VMUser

Post by VMUser » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:34 am

Hi Dan.
VueSoft wrote:It should work. Based on what you reported in the other thread, it appears the ICS file is occasionally missing some text when uploaded. I don't know what would cause that to happen and I can't duplicate the behavior when using my server and sharing ICS files between multiple computers.
Couldn't VueMinder simply retry in case of an error?
VueSoft wrote:Have you considered using a different server, possibly icalx.com or ical-mac.com? Those are specifically meant for hosting ICS files and might solve the problem you're seeing.
I already tried ical-mac.com and found incompatabilities with VueMinder - see here.

icalx.com: The last entry on this site is from 2007. I wonder if it still works.
VueSoft wrote:Also, try decreasing the sync frequency, if possible. Instead of syncing every 1 minute, try syncing every 15 minutes. Does that help?
Of course, that would make such errors less occur. But it doesn't solve the error.

There is a reason for syncing every 1 minute: If two users are adding or editing calendar entries on the same calendar the same time there is a big chance that some changes are being deleted by the other users VueMinder.

If I set syncing every 15 minutes: User 1 changes an event. This will be uploaded immediately. 5 minutes later user 2 is synching with his old not updates status. This will overwrite the changes made by user 1 and so forth. Is that correct?

Best regards,
Karl

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:14 am

Couldn't VueMinder simply retry in case of an error?
Yes, but the server is not returning an error when the file is published, so VueMinder doesn't know there's a problem until the subscription is attempted to be updated.
Of course, that would make such errors less occur. But it doesn't solve the error.
I agree. Unfortunately, I don't know what's causing the error because I can't duplicate it when publishing/subscribing on my server. I think it might be related to the way the file is being uploaded via FTP, and I'll make some changes to use a different technique, which might be more reliable. However, no promises that it will fix the behavior...
There is a reason for syncing every 1 minute: If two users are adding or editing calendar entries on the same calendar the same time there is a big chance that some changes are being deleted by the other users VueMinder.
The only time this would happen is if both users edit the same event. If users are editing different events, there shouldn't be any problem because when the calendar syncs, it subscribes to the latest version first, before publishing the local updates. In other words, the changes should merge.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:06 pm

I think it might be related to the way the file is being uploaded via FTP, and I'll make some changes to use a different technique, which might be more reliable.
A beta is now available and improves the method used for uploading files via FTP. I'm not sure if it will fix the behavior you're seeing, but I think it might. If you'd like to try it, the beta is available here:
http://www.vueminder.com/forums/phpBB3/ ... ?f=5&t=908
Dan Chartrand, Founder

VMUser

Post by VMUser » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:55 am

VueSoft wrote: I'm not sure if it will fix the behavior you're seeing, but I think it might. If you'd like to try it, the beta is available here ...
Hi Dan,

unfortunately it didn't fix it -- see here.

Best regards

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:05 am

Thanks for letting me know. I'll do some more brainstorming!
Dan Chartrand, Founder

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:47 pm

I've made a change to how the file I/O buffers are read/written. I'm not sure it will make any difference, but the change is in beta 4.
http://www.vueminder.com/forums/phpBB3/ ... ?f=5&t=908
Dan Chartrand, Founder

VMUser

Post by VMUser » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:13 am

Using iCalendar files with more than one user via webserver seems to be still very unreliable.

It happens that events are suddenly dissappearing: http://www.vueminder.com/forums/phpBB3/ ... 3919#p3919

I am at my wit's end with this issue. :?

VMUser

Post by VMUser » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:09 pm

VueSoft wrote:It should work...
Dear Dan,

I give up. For me it seems that VueMinder does not allow reliable using iCalendar files with more than one user neither online nor offline.

Because of the many errors and lost events, today I changed back from online to offline using a network drive. But some minutes later I got exactly the same error.

So my conclusion is that there is no reliable method using iCalendar files with more than one user.

:cry: