VueMinder 10.0 Beta

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: VueMinder 10.0 Beta

Post by VueSoft » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:26 am

Hi sicupnux, thank you for the feedback. I'll work on fixing these problems and will post a reply when an updated beta is available. Please let me know if you find any other problems in the beta.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

mihal.v

Post by mihal.v » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:46 pm

Vue Minder beta 8 freezes trying to setup synchronization with Google Calendar. UI doesn't respond and VM crashes in 20-30 seconds. The same situation when I press 'Cancel' at program start when VM asks for sync.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:14 pm

Hi mihal.v, thank you for the information. I'm not sure what's causing this behavior (I don't see it happen in my testing), but I'll try to fix it in the next beta.

In the meantime, please try temporarily disabling your firewall or security software before attempting to add a Google Calendar to VueMinder. Does that make any difference? My guess is that something is interfering with VueMinder's processing. If the error goes away after doing this, try adding an exception for VueMinder to your security software.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:46 am

Beta 9 is now available. Here's the list of the improvements and corrections that have been completed since Beta 8...

VueMinder Lite 10.0 Beta 9
  • Added a default calendar selector to the Calendar List. The selector includes a lock button to prevent the default calendar from automatically changing when events belonging to other calendars are selected.
  • Added global hotkey options for showing the mini desktop calendar, creating new events, dismissing all currently displayed popup reminders and desktop alerts, and initiating a search. The hotkey commands will work regardless of whether the VueMinder window is active.
  • Improved Google Calendar authorization to work more reliably.
  • Improved events to no longer require a default category. If a category isn't desired, the Category field can be left blank.
  • Corrected a problem with duplicate events being created when a recurring event and following occurrences is modified on an Android smartphone, synced to Google Calendar, and then synced to VueMinder. A duplicate event would appear on the date of the first edited occurrence.
  • Corrected exporting of recurring event variations to ICS files. In some cases, the variations wouldn't properly import into other software or Google Calendar.
  • Corrected the popup reminder and desktop alert settings to not show specific reminder dates/times when editing a recurring series. The times were for the first occurrence of the series, which could cause confusion.
  • Corrected page margin inconsistencies, which could vary from the Print Preview depending on the destination printer.
  • Corrected the Page Setup window to restore the previously specified paper type, rather than always resetting the paper type to Letter.
  • Corrected problems editing the color of the default category after a different language has been selected.
  • Corrected the desktop calendar to not reset its position if a small portion of the desktop calendar is moved outside the screen bounds.
  • Corrected some text phrases which weren't translated.
  • Minor corrections and improvements.
  • Updated the simplified Chinese translation - 100% complete.
  • Updated the Danish translation - 100% complete.
  • Updated the Dutch translation - 100% complete.
  • Updated the German translation - 100% complete.
  • Updated the Spanish translation - 100% complete.
  • Updated the French translation - 60% complete.
VueMinder Pro 10.0 Beta 9
The Pro version includes all the improvements made to the Lite version. In addition, it adds the following...
  • Added a clipart picker to the toolbar of the text editor. Clipart can be searched and inserted by using this button.
  • Added global hotkey options for showing the mini desktop calendar, creating new events/tasks/notes/contacts, dismissing all currently displayed popup reminders and desktop alerts, and initiating a search. The hotkey commands will work regardless of whether the VueMinder window is active.
  • Improved the Files tab to allow linking to folders.
  • Improved the tooltip balloon when hovering over an event, task, or note to show linked files and folders. The links can be opened directly from the tooltip.
  • Corrected display of item details in the popup reminder window, Links tab, and Meeting Response window. The details were appearing blank.
  • Corrected the text editor. In some cases, after the editor was re-opened it would show HTML code instead of the previous formatted text.
  • Corrected syncing of task due dates with Google Calendar if a task that had a due date was modified to no longer have a due date.
  • Corrected the Task List when grouping task rows by date while some task calendars were filtered. Empty date groups were sometimes shown for tasks that were filtered from the list.
  • Corrected the Event List when rows are grouped by calendar and the date range is changed. All groups will expand instead of being collapsed.
  • Corrected the color sidebar in the Day and Week views. The event text was slightly overlapping the sidebar.
  • Corrected the Daily content of the Tri-Fold print layout. Text was not appearing in event blocks.
  • Corrected the Share menu to always be visible instead of hiding based on the selected calendar.
VueMinder Ultimate 10.0 Beta 9
The Ultimate version includes all the improvements made to the Lite and Pro versions. In addition, it adds the following...
  • Added the ability to send email reminders and meeting requests through Exchange Server. This is a new option in the Email Settings.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

mihal.v

Post by mihal.v » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:15 am

In the meantime, please try temporarily disabling your firewall or security software before attempting to add a Google Calendar to VueMinder. Does that make any difference?
No difference. Everything is ok in beta9 but Paste Code doesn' work :(

mihal.v

Post by mihal.v » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:23 am

VM doesn't save default category font. See screenshot.
Attachments
category color.jpg
category color.jpg (43.98 KiB) Viewed 54309 times

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:37 am

Hi mihal.v, thank you for the feedback.
No difference. Everything is ok in beta9 but Paste Code doesn' work
I believe I've found what is causing this behavior. A correction has been made and an updated beta will be available soon.
VM doesn't save default category font. See screenshot.
Can you try changing the color of the default category? Does that work? If you can't change the color either, delete the default category by clicking the "Delete" button and then re-create it. I believe that will solve the problem.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

mihal.v

Post by mihal.v » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:11 pm

I believe I've found what is causing this behavior. A correction has been made and an updated beta will be available soon.
Thanks!
Can you try changing the color of the default category? Does that work? If you can't change the color either, delete the default category by clicking the "Delete" button and then re-create it. I believe that will solve the problem.
:D This doesn't help! I can change color but font didn't changed. I recreated category - same result.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:35 pm

Have you tried picking a different font? Arial and Segoe UI are so similar to each other that it might be difficult to see the difference when looking at just 7 characters...at least it is for me.

Could you test selecting some other font that is visually different? Does the font update correctly? Are you positive it's not showing Segoe UI? It works when I try it, but the font is so similar to Arial that I have to look very closely to see any difference.
Dan Chartrand, Founder

sicupnux

Post by sicupnux » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:22 am

Hi Dan,

I updated to the new Beta, and so far I had no problems with the default category colours or fonts being remembered. I also tested the position of the desktop calendar by having 2 of its borders outside the visible screen. So far so good :)

Unfortunately, there still are things that could be improved*:

1. the pop-up balloons when you place the mouse over events. It's great that you don't have to click to make them appear, but I sometimes feel they take too long to disappear. Could you make it so that, when you click once on the event in focus, the pop-up disappears? This is mainly because they get in the way when you want to add new events or to see the events just above the one in focus. Right now, if I place the mouse over an event, the pop-up appears. If I click on the same event, it gets selected and the pop-up appears again if I don't move the mouse away. This can be annoying when you want to select the events above. I noticed that the pop-ups disappear when you press the Esc key, but that is only when the VueMinder window is in focus. I think the quickest way would be to be able to also use the mouse to make them pop away :)

2. I find the behaviour of adding events by clicking straight on the calendar unpredictable. Sometimes, when I click once on an empty slot, a blank all day event gets created. Other times, when I first click, I get the text "click to add an event", and then when I click again an event gets added in the right slot and I can input text. If I just place the mouse over an empty slot, I get the "click to add an event" message and when I click, an all day blank event gets created. Often times I double-click an empty slot so that the editing window pops up, but it doesn't always work and it still sometimes creates empty events. I'm guessing it has something to do with the speed you click and the amount of time the mouse pointer sits over a space? Is there a right and a wrong way to do this?

3. the default category. What's happening in this beta version is that, since you removed it from automatically being selected in the event editing window, new events that have no category selected upon creation have a grey background and a bigger sized bold font in dark grey. I'm not sure where these settings are coming from. Also to note is that, if you make a new event straight on the calendar (without the editing window), it has the 'default' category automatically added, therefore it has the right colours and font.

4. Is there any way you could add the F12 shortcut to the desktop calendar? Please? :oops: Is it at least planned for future versions? Or is it available in the other VueMinder etitions?

*My observations are based on using the desktop calendar.