Open calendar as new

Have a great idea on how VueMinder could be improved? Post it here!
fscltp

Open calendar as new

Post by fscltp » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:49 pm

I don't know if this is already possible, but if not then I would like to suggest it. I have a calendar, filled with events. I want to make separate calendars for Tom, Dick, and Harry. They would then continue to add their own entries. I have tried exporting to Excel then importing. But although Vuecal says everything imported there is nothing in the calendar at all. I have tried exporting as an ics file then making a new calendar and importing the ics and it does. But I tell it to use the saved calendar colors and it uses the default new calendar colors. I have tried telling it not to use the saved calendar colors and it still used the new default.

What would be good is from the top menu, add a save as. Then from the top menu we can open any calendar and add it to any group we have. This way the colors are there.

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Re: Open calendar as new

Post by VueSoft » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:24 pm

Hi fscltp, welcome to the forums. When exporting to an ICS file, make sure the box labeled "Export event colors" is checked. When importing the ICS file, make sure the box labeled "Import event colors" is checked. Also, on the View menu, make sure "Color Events Using -> Calendar Colors" is selected. The event colors should import - at least they do when I test it.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

fscltp

Re: Open calendar as new

Post by fscltp » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:29 am

Well I just tried again, I checked the view menu to use calendar colors. Then I exported using event colors to an ics. Then I created a new calendar and made a test entry and it showed the default of black text on a beige background with a black border (which is on the calendar being exported). Then I imported the ics file and told it to use the calendar colors. I did this twice: once also checking "use calendar defaults" and the second time with it not checked.

The calendar always imports as a gradient blue in color. The new calendar I created to import into is like I said a beige solid color with a black border. And I tested it with an event so I know I did it right that way. The exported calendar just won't import with anything except blue gradient of blue and light blue.

I also want to suggest - when importing a calendar it always has one checked for you. This should never be. More than once I caught myself almost clicking next but stopped just in time. An "import into calendar" should never be selected for you when importing. Especially when there are challenges such as I am having. I would lose everything if it imported into my main calendar. It would be better to check off calendars to NEVER be imported into, and also make the user select a calendar before importing and don't do it automatically.

I just discovered it is possible to edit in event mode. I was hoping to select just some of the events then I can change the box color. But it is all or none, not just selected. Would be nice if it was.