Still having problems with Google sync

Need help with VueMinder Pro or Ultimate? Ask your questions here.
ericrep

Still having problems with Google sync

Post by ericrep » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:18 pm

Dan -

I'm running Pro version 9.1.3 on a 3-computer home network. Syncing is working about 98% percent of the time across the network. Recurring events seem to have the most problems...I frequently get multiple instances of an event and sometimes new recurring events just don't appear on the other computers.

But my wife and I recently got our first smartphones (Samsung Galaxy S3s running on Verizon) and syncing via Google calendar is only working about 75% of the time. New events entered on the computer frequently don't appear on the phones; events we edit on a computer almost never update on the phones; and events we delete on a computer never delete from the phones...even worse, they often reappear on the computers. Events we enter or update on the phones sometimes appear on the computers and sometimes they don't. This evening I had an event that was on the phone and on Google just disappear from the computer calendar.

I hope you're working on the Google syncing as part of the next release.

Thanks,
Eric

ericrep

Re: Still having problems with Google sync

Post by ericrep » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:45 pm

Arrrrgggg...The computer calendar hasn't sync'd with Google since the 24th so I checked the sync settings then clicked the button to force it to sync now. Then I started looking more closely at the computer calendar and noticed more duplicate events. I started with today and worked back to Nov 1, 2010 (when we started using our first version of VueMinder). I ended up having to delete over 650 duplicate events. Some events had 30-40 copies on the same day. PLEASE HELP!!!

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:48 pm

Hi ericrep, I apologize for the problem. Are you syncing the same calendar with Google Calendar AND syncing with VueMinder Server on your local network? If so, please ensure only one computer is configured to do the Google Calendar sync. If multiple computers are configured to sync with Google Calendar and sync with VueMinder Server, you'll see some strange behavior. You could also forego syncing the calendar with VueMinder Server. Instead, sync all computers with the same Google Calendar.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

ericrep

Post by ericrep » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:29 am

Dan -

I'm syncing six calendars over the network. I just double-checked the settings... the office computer (which is also the computer that's running the VueMinder server) is set to automatically 2-way sync the same six calendars with my Google calendar. The kitchen computer is set to NOT sync with Google. My laptop should also be set to NOT sync with Google but it's been off for the last week or so anyway.

My phone is set to sync to my Google calendar.

All of my Google calendars are also shared with my wife's Google account and her phone is set to sync to her Google calendar.

Thanks,
Eric

ericrep

Post by ericrep » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:22 am

Dan -

Well I have no idea what's going on now. Originally the duplicate event problem was limited 2 or 3 of my calendars and not all of the events in any of those. After double-checking the other night to make sure I was only sharing with Google from one computer, I went through VueMinder and deleted all the duplicate events. Then I went through my Google calendar and deleted all the duplicate events from there.

Yesterday evening when I looked at VueMinder, the other calendars were showing 3 copies of almost every event.

So I turned off syncing to Google, deleted all of my Google calendars, and started cleaning the new duplicates out of VueMinder.

I quit part way through to get some sleep then resumed deleting duplicates this morning. But now when I delete 2 copies of an event, the original copy disappears.

I can't decide if I should just delete everything and try to restore from a backup or just abandon VueMinder and see if I can get Google calendar to do everything I need.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric

ericrep

Post by ericrep » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:45 am

Looking at the Restore list, the Description column shows about 2780-2850 events from 10/16 through 10/28. After I did the initial deleting of duplicate events in the evening of 10/28, the number of events drops to 2270. Then it jumps back up again:

10/28 6:45 PM 2846 events

10/29 2:45 AM 2270 events

10/29 10:45 AM 2270 events

10/29 6:47 PM 3422 events

10/30 2:49 AM 3466 events

I'm going to try restoring the 10/29 10:45 AM backup and see if I can get that to work.

ericrep

Post by ericrep » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:24 pm

Dan -

I'm still having problems although not as bad...

I deleted all the shared calendars from both my and my wife's Google accounts. That deleted everything from both our phones.

I deleted all the calendars from VueMinder on my office computer and our kitchen computer (and left my laptop turned off).

On the office computer I restored the automatic backup from 10/29 10:45 a.m.

Then I cleaned all six of the calendars:
Deleted all recurring events.
Deleted all events before 1/1/2012.
Deleted any remaining duplicate events.
Deleted several other events I didn't really need anymore.
That brought the total number of events down from 2270 to 773 (ranging from 39 to 273 in the six calendars).

Then I re-enabled sharing with Google for all six calendars. I had to restart VueMinder several times because it hung up during the sync process (meaning I gave up waiting after 30+ minutes trying to sync one calendar).

I still haven't added any of the calendars back to my phone.

But I've already got one event on Aug 30 that keeps adding a duplicate. If I delete the second event from VueMinder, the duplicate just comes back.

And I had one event on Oct 29 that had 3 events after syncing with Google. I deleted 2 and then the remaining 1 disappeared. I tried entering a new event with the same information and it keeps disappearing.

After all that, I did re-share the six calendars on the network and added them back to the kitchen computer (which is NOT set to sync with Google). I see the original Aug 30 event on the kitchen computer but not the duplicate. I did see the re-entered Oct 29 event there briefly but then it disappeared after it disappeared from the office computer.

I'd like to sync from my Google account to both my and my wife's phone (skipping the previous method of syncing to her Google account and then to her phone). But I'm reluctant to add that complication until we figure out what's going on with the existing Google syncing problems.

I'd also like to add back the recurring events but those seem to be especially prone to duplicates or to just disappearing so I'll wait on those as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Eric

VueSoft
Dan Chartrand

Post by VueSoft » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:54 pm

Hi Eric, thanks for the information. I believe version 10.0 should fix the behavior you're seeing. It contains a number of corrections for Google Calendar syncing.

The sync should not take 30 minutes, but I'm not sure if killing VueMinder before the sync was completed will cause problems later. If you encounter problems again, I suggest doing the following:

1. Update to the 10.0 beta. It's available here:
http://www.vueminder.com/forums/phpBB3/ ... ?f=5&t=908

2. In VueMinder, delete the calendar(s) that you're syncing with Google Calendar. To do this safely, right-click the calendar name and select "Delete Calendar". This should not cause any events to be deleted on Google Calendar or your phones.

3. Exit VueMinder by right-clicking its icon in the task tray and selecting Exit.

4. Restart VueMinder.

5. Use the "Add Google Calendar" command on the File menu to re-add the Google Calendars to VueMinder. If you're using the beta and your internet connection is decent, this shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

6. Wait for the sync to finish. Don't kill it! After syncing is completed, subsequent syncs will happen much more quickly. You shouldn't see any problems syncing regular and recurring events in the 10.0 beta.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dan Chartrand, Founder
VueSoft LLC | St. Louis, Missouri, USA

ericrep

Post by ericrep » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:29 am

Dan -

Thank you for the quick response! I'm installing the beta now and will let you know how it goes.

Eric

ericrep

Post by ericrep » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:50 pm

Dan -

Starting with my office computer, I installed the beta, then deleted the existing calendars. After restarting VueMinder, I added all six calendars from my Google account.

Then I did the same for my kitchen computer and my laptop. I'm trying your earlier suggestion and syncing everything to one Google account instead of trying to mix the network and Google syncing.

I added a seventh calendar for recurring events (birthdays and anniversaries) on the office computer, then sync'd it up to Google and back down to the kitchen computer and my laptop.

I also sync'd all seven calendars from Google to my phone. (I'll sync my wife's phone to my Google account when she gets home tonight.)

But I'm already seeing duplicate events appearing...only a few events and only on some of the seven calendars. And so far if I delete the duplicate, the original event remains.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Eric